Can not find partitions in linux rescue after missing fstab

Patil, Manjiri S mpatil at bu.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:08:39 UTC 2008

Hi ,

I was playing around with my test machine to get details of linux boot
process . I renamed my fstab file  from /etc/fstab to /etc/fstab.old .
Now if I boot machine to linux rescue mode to recover I get error saying
there are no partition s to mount.  If I try to mount it manually by
giving

mount  /dev/sda2   /mnt

I get error saying no such file and directory. I can't see root
filesystem mounted.

I also tried

mount -o remount,rw   /

But didnn't help.

I tried booting into single mode but I can not rename file as its
mounted as read only.

How do I get back my original fstab .

Thanks for help .