view contents of lpd print queue

Thom Randolph trandolph at tstrategies.com
Mon Sep 29 13:48:26 UTC 2008

Hello:
I'm running Red Hat Enterprise 5, and have set up an lpd queue to a
remote printer (a Canon iR 7086)   Jobs are held in the queue on the
printer until manually released and printed.  While the queue seems to
be working - jobs show up there and print properly, I do not have any
visibility of the jobs in the queue.  The command "lpstat -t" does not
show any jobs, nor does "lpq".  The only place I have found the jobs
visible is through the CUPS web interface, where I can view them as
completed jobs, although they have not been printed and are still
sitting in the queue.  My users need visibility of the queue so they
can check the size/status of their print jobs before notifying the
folks who actually control the queue and do the printing - the
information available through CUPS shows different job numbers and is
not sufficient for their purposes.

On the Solaris 8 server that the Linux box is replacing, the "lpstat -t"
command shows the contents of the queue - indeed, it now shows the
jobs from the Linux server as well, so it is clearly getting the info
from the printer.  Is there a built-in Linux command that will do the
same?  Is there a another package that will provide this visibility
from the Linux server?

Thanks for your help.

Thom