RHEL vs SUSE

Mike Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Sep 30 20:18:29 UTC 2008

Hi all,

The company I work for wants to force me to develop under SUSE instead
of what I requested: RHEL. I program for a small part of the company
that is usually forgotten about as currently our customers are running
our software on SCO. However, the larger part of my company is using
SUSE as their future environment and they wish to develop all softwares
on a single platform.

I don't blame them for wanting a single OS, but I'd love some material
showing how RHEL would benefit a smaller sized business market versus
SUSE. Is there a page similar to Novell's[1] marketing page that I could
use as ammunition for my choice for RHEL? A Red Hat sales representative
won't change their minds. Only I could, and I think my chances of
winning are slim to none. Red Hat's interaction with the community and
the community's interaction with Red Hat has substantial more value in
my eyes than SUSE's reliance upon Microsoft's bidding.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. I was given a copy of RHEL 5 a few months ago, but strangely they
have changed their minds.

[1] http://www.novell.com/products/server/compare.html
(click on the Red Hat tab to see the SUSE versus RHEL comparison)