RHEL vs SUSE

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:36:45 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 02:23:51 pm Mike Cronenworth wrote:
> I would rarely ever need a support call out of SUSE or Red Hat. In fact,
> the larger side of my company doesn't set up any updates for SUSE and
> they always remain on the base version.
>
> It's record keeping software for pharmacy. We'd be using PostgreSQL for
> the database. It's terminal based currently, with a transition to a GTK2
> environment sometime in the next few years.
>
> I realize that they are essentially the same OSes with different names,
> but politically I am against SUSE. Also, there have been issues I've
> seen with SUSE on our bigger side of the company, which is already
> actively using SUSE. I guess in the end I will be developing in Fedora
> (as I do currently) and publishing in SUSE. Ugh.

We haven't had to call Tech Support on an issue that needed production level
resolution, but we do make "scenerio" and call tech support to gauge the
level of service we will be receiving.

I am guessing your bias against SUSE (Actually I believe you are referring to
SLES) is due to the Microsoft / Novell (semi something pact). If you fully
understand the pact, you'd understand it has no change on this front (Except
with XEN etc). If you want a SUSE equivalent you can also develop on openSUSE
(which I bet you're aware of).

What are the "issues ... on our bigger side" that you talk about?

But i'm with you, they are pretty much all in the same.

Ben