soft link

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 17:16:26 UTC 2009

>> why this command gives full
>> permission to soft link any reason behind this?
RHEL ignores whatever permissions are in the inode of the symlink, and only
looks at the permissions set in the inode of the file the symlink points to.
The symlink is a complete reference to the file it points to.

You will see, in the case of a symlink, if you try and change the
permissions on it, you'll actually end up changing the permissions of the
file it points to.

The fun thing is, in the event of trying to remove/modify the symlink, it
will STILL only look at the permissions of the referenced file, which is why
even though a symlink has full permissions, only people with permissions to
remove/modify the referenced file are the ones that can remove/modify the
symlink.

Chet

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Raj Har <raj4list at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello all,
>                  when we create soft link of any file like "ln -s
> /etc/passwd password".
> the permission of soft link "password" in this example" is
> lrwxrwxrwx but other user cant access it. why this command gives full
> permission to soft link any reason behind this?
>
> when we create file from vi editor we save from "wq" command but sometimes
> we save it force fully "wq!".
> why force fully in necessary?
>
> thanks

chet nichols III