Tomcat and RHEL5.3

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Apr 15 21:06:58 UTC 2009

Virgilio,

>Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:37:27 -0300
>From: Virgilio Antonio Araujo <vi.rlz4ever at gmail.com>
>
>I need to install a tomcat server 6.0.18 at a RHEL 5.3 i386 server.
>A install the latest jdk jdk-6u13-linux-i586-rpm.bin and point JAVA_HOME to
>/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_13.
>When a try to start tomcat I see the follow errors at catalina.out and the
>tomcat dosent init.

I haven't done that, but a couple of things: first, don't point JAVA_HOME there, but Sun always sets up /usr/java/jdk<blah>, and then two links, one of which is /usr/java/default, which points to that. If you point JAVA_HOME to /usr/java/default, if you upgrade, it should be transparent.

Second, you really need to look in the log. I *loathe* so much java, including tomcat, instead of giving you a straight answer, they obviously don't handle thrown errors correctly (ah, java was supposed to Solve All That, they said), and instead give you a useless and obscure stack trace. Check the very *top* of the stack trace - there's a timestamp - and you might get a clue as to what the error actually is.

    mark