GPL license for all rpm's.

Steve Phillips steve.phillips at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 07:20:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Rohit khaladkar
<rohit.khaladkar at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi!I have a couple of questions :
>
> 1)Where would I get the GPL licenses for red hat 5.2. Can anyone point me
> a link ?

They should be included on the media (CD ?) if you have it.

> 2)Is one GPL license enough for all the rpm's or do we need to have a GPL
> license individually ?

Each software package should come with its own license. Its important to
note that not all software included with many linux distributions is covered
by the GPL, some have different licensing criteria, such as BSD or apache
licence (to name a couple, I believe perl also has a number of different
licence types)

When you install a package, it should also install a copy of the licence in
somewhere like /usr/share/doc/package-name, altho, this may vary from
software to software.

Also, when we talk about 'software', in the linux world the distribution
(redhat 5.2) is simply a collection of various peoples software, of which
the linux kernel is only one small part. And you can't really define it as
'per rpm' as many rpms may go to make up one particular package which is
licenced as a whole.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you wanted to hear :-)

--
Steve.