Rename ISCSI LUN

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 00:28:06 UTC 2009

I'm not sure how Equallogic handles it's luns but on our netapp filers what
actually tells the RHEL boxes that a lun is a specific lun is a lun serial
number. This is a number on the lun that uniquely identifies it to the
server. On our RHEL boxes as long as that serial stays the same we could
rename the lun whatever we want on the SAN side.

But this should be an easy enough thing to test out ahead of time, shouldn't
it?

Romeo

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Kory V. Wheatley <kory.wheatley at gdev.isu.edu
> wrote:

> Question,
> We have a Dell Equallogic SAN where it's configured with one of our Red Hat
> Enterprise 5 systems.   The External ISCSI disk needs to be renamed due to a
> incorrect naming scheme.  Now this LUN/Disk has data on it that can't be
> erased.  If we rename it through the Dell Equallogic interface, will the
> ISCSI initiator discover the new name and change the initiator configuration
> and keep the data.  Or do we have to rename it through the Red Hate
> initiator configuration manually.

Romeo Theriault
System Administrator
Information Technology Services