Hardware guidelines for webservers

Reber, Simon simon.reber at roche.com
Thu Apr 16 12:33:00 UTC 2009

Mark,

Well, I really have to tell you that I don't have any number available
for you :-(
	But maybe somebody else or maybe friend Google ;-)

The only thing I can give you as hint is the fact I already mention in
my previous mail:
	-> CPU power isn't that important (of course a runqueue full of
requests isn't nice but I've never seen something on a webserver before)
	-> Network and Disk speed/handling are important for performance
of a webserver (and maybe memory)

I think your approach with two physical server and on top some VM's
(they can BTW easily extended when vertical scalability is an option) is
good enough for the beginning.
Since I don't want to favor any hardware vendors are I am not going to
tell you which vendor or product you should take.
	But from my perspective should it be OK to take something cheap
with maybe 2 Dual Core CPU's, 4 GB memory and (if no SAN is present) an
internal
	disk of about 500GB

Cheers,
Simon