Tomcat and RHEL5.3

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Thu Apr 16 22:24:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:22 AM,  <fernando at lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Insted of doing all this, configure the EPEL repository so you can use yum to install openjdk (which
> is Sun JDK 1.6.0 open sourced -- and the current EPEL rpms were certified by the JCP). Then you can
> use yum o install tomcat from RHEL repositories.
>
> Easier than dealing with environment variables,
[...]
>> export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.0_07
>> export PATH=/opt/jdk1.6.0_07/bin:$PATH

[...]

Initially Java did not belong into the open source camp.  Accordingly,
those of us who are engaged with Java applications on an regular basis
know that minor implementation differences by the commercial, free and
open source vendors will have an effect on any (some or all)  Java
applications.  We also know that certain Java applications will
require an certain version of Java to operate as that (Java)
application was designed to do.

Needless to say, it is not unusual for developers, administrators, and
system integrators like us --and others, to have multiple
implementations and/or versions of Java in our machines.  For an given
session, setting first the JAVA_HOME environment variable will let the
Java application under consideration "know" where to obtain its
resources; further, prefixing the relevant executable directory to the
PATH environment variable prevents other existing Java executable
implementations and/or versions from "tainting" the integrity of the
application under consideration.

Of course, once the Java application is ascertained to function well
with an implementation/version of Java, an relevant script and/or
modification to GNU/Linux existing settings should follow.

> already integrated to Linux boot and shutdown, and
> getting updates the regular RHEL way (no wories about security bugs)
>

> []s, Fernando Lozano

Indeed, I also subscribe to that higher Java Platonic notion
represented by OpenJdk. however, in the current mundane world of Sun's
legacy, an given application designed for JDK 1.4, for instance
AppGate's Mindterm (< http://www.appgate.com/index/products/mindterm/
>), will yield unexpected results when run with OpenJdk.  These latter
sort of circumstances can be solved by exporting a couple of variables
--as elaborated-- for an given session.

Yes, and Java application vendors bundle the JRE and runtime
environment variable modification scripts that function best with
their application; relying on the end users' existing Java
implementation(s) that may introduce incompatibilities and spit out
errors.  The no-cost, free as in beer, IBM Lotus Symphony is an
example of those.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com