How to remove scsi san disk?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Fri Apr 17 18:18:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:06:49AM -0700, Ryan Golhar wrote:
> How do I determine the device mapping of a SCSI drive to the SCSI host,
> bus, lun?  And  How to I remove the mapping to delete the SCSI drive?
>
> I have a fibre-connected SAN.  I've created a few drives on the SAN and
> mapped it to my linux host.  The linux host sees the drives just fine.
> I remove the drives from linux, and left them as uninitialize disks.
> Whenever I run "fdisk -l", I get output:
>
> [root at cicweb1 tmp]# /sbin/fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 440.0 GB, 440076861440 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 53502 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2              14       53502   429650392+  8e  Linux LVM

This might help:

  http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-3942

I typically use /proc/scsi/scsi or lsscsi to list the devices and
figure out which ones I want to remove, then use the appropriate
command to remove the device.

> I also get in /var/log/messages that drives that I since removed from
> the SAN.  How to I remove these (/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc) in linux?

<snip>

I wonder if you have multipathing set up?  The failover path often will
show up as an invalid or unavailable drive.

This usually can be fixed by setting the correct multipath device
settings in your /etc/multipath.conf config file.

Ray