Problem with NTP.

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Tue Apr 21 10:42:06 UTC 2009

Hello Simon,
                         Thanks for help so far. I have checked and the
tcpdump package is installed with root permission's so in theory we should
be able to run the tcpdump command. Is there an even simpler tcpdump
command to run just to check it can be used. Also I have attached the last
25 minutes of the messages log, in which I have restarted the ntpd service
to try and get it too synchronise. If you see anything to investigate
please let me know.

Apr 21 11:05:06 dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for Server from 00:17:a4:f9:6f:fa via
bond0: unknown lease Server.
Apr 21 11:05:07 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:05:44 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:07:13 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:09:15 last message repeated 2 times
Apr 21 11:10:37 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:12:39 last message repeated 2 times
Apr 21 11:13:52 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:14:40 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:15:52 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:17:12 last message repeated 2 times
Apr 21 11:19:15 last message repeated 2 times
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26183]: ntpd Thu Nov  6 11:08:22 UTC 2008 (1)
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: precision = 1.000 usec
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: Listening on interface wildcard, 0.0.0.0#123
Disabled
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: Listening on interface wildcard, ::#123
Disabled
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: Listening on interface bond0,
fe80::21e:bff:fe60:acda#123 Enabled
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: Listening on interface lo, ::1#123 Enabled
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: Listening on interface lo, 127.0.0.1#123
Enabled
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: Listening on interface bond0, Server#123
Enabled
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: kernel time sync status 0040
Apr 21 11:19:56 ntpd[26184]: frequency initialized 0.000 PPM from
/var/lib/ntp/drift
Apr 21 11:20:10 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:21:13 dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:4d:32:00 via bond0: BOOTP
from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
Apr 21 11:23:12 last message repeated 2 times
Apr 21 11:25:01 last message repeated 2 times

Thanks

Andrew Bridgeman

             "Reber, Simon"
             <simon.reber at roch
             e.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "General Red Hat Linux discussion
             redhat-list-bounc         list" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
             es at redhat.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             21/04/2009 11:16          RE: Problem with NTP.

             Please respond to
              General Red Hat
             Linux discussion
                   list
             <redhat-list at redh
                  at.com>

Hi Andrew,

Well I think this is going to be a bit more difficult.
The "timeout" is coming obviously from the ntp settings set on server1
(noquery, etc.)

Anyway tcpdump is a tool to look at the network traffic and as you said,
it is not possible to find the binary which usually indicates that it
isn't installed (try to run rpm -qa | grep tcpdump to see if it is there
or not)
             BTW: The program is under /usr/sbin and needs root permissions
to be executed

So I strongly suggest to install tcpdump to see what is going on, on the
network interface (especially on port 123 since this is the ntp port)
             An other help could be to check /var/adm/messages to see if
there is any hint why ntp isn't working properly

Cheers,
Simon

P.S. Sorry for the guessing all the time but it's difficult to give
advice via email.
             I have tons of idea where the problems could be located but to
mention all that I would need to write a book ;-)