resizing a partition

Aaron Bliss abliss at brockport.edu
Tue Apr 21 11:50:37 UTC 2009

I could be wrong here, however I believe the whole point of lvm to allow to
increase and decrease the size of logical volumes (which are made up of 1 or
more physical disks) without losing the data on the disk.  I didn't know
that the linux kernel supported resizing ext3 partitions....Here are the
size limitations of lvm's:

For 2.4 based kernels, the maximum LV size is 2TB. For some older kernels,
however, the limit was 1TB due to signedness problems in the block layer.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Update 5 has fixes to allow the full 2TB LVs.
Consult your distribution for more information in this regard.

.         For 32-bit CPUs on 2.6 kernels, the maximum LV size is 16TB.

.         For 64-bit CPUs on 2.6 kernels, the maximum LV size is 8EB. (Yes,
that is a very large number.)

Aaron