dumb question

Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov
Tue Apr 21 14:59:31 UTC 2009

Yes you can install both and I do install both of several libs
and I don't have it handy but I think a previous post in this list
explained how the packages can discern which architecture lib they want

Phebe Mertes
210-301-6271

             <m.roth2006 at rcn.c
             om>
             redhat-list-bounc         General Red Hat Linux discussion
             es at redhat.com             list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
                                                                        cc

             04/21/2009 09:55                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: dumb question

             Please respond to
              General Red Hat
             Linux discussion
                   list
             <redhat-list at redh
                  at.com>

Phebe,

>Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:43:15 -0500
>From: Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov
>
>They are actually ported for use in the x86_64 platform in order to give
>functionality to a 32 bit package.
>
>For example: we use HP's Server Management Homepage and one package is
>still in 32 bit. I have to install zlib i386 and several others to get it
>to function.

Oh. But *can* you install (as the example we're using) *both* the zlib i386
*and* the zlib x86_64 packages? I would not have thought that you could,
nor would I have thought that you wanted to, since I'd think that packages
that expected to use the latter would have trouble, accidentally getting
the wrong lib.

       mark

   mark