dumb question

Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov
Wed Apr 22 12:25:30 UTC 2009

Dear Mark,

the i686 was used to address Pentium Pro or better systems. If you are
running 64 bit then the system is better. The i686 are for the 32 bit
applications. If the 32 bit and the 64 bit libraries are not the same exact
version of each other on the 64 bit machine, that might be a problem. Or
maybe your 32 bit applications really need an older 32 bit library. So far
in the work I am doing with testing installing certain applications on a
RHEL5.3 box I am finding the RHEL5.3 releases of 32 bit libraries to work
just fine whether it has the designation of i386 or i686.

Phebe Mertes
210-301-6271

             mark
             <m.roth2006 at rcn.c
             Sent by:                  General Red Hat Linux discussion
             redhat-list-bounc         list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
             es at redhat.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/21/2009 08:17          Re: dumb question
             PM

             Please respond to
              General Red Hat
             Linux discussion
                   list
             <redhat-list at redh
                  at.com>

Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov wrote:
> Yes you can install both and I do install both of several libs
> and I don't have it handy but I think a previous post in this list
> explained how the packages can discern which architecture lib they want

Actually, I *did* find what my problem was with trying to upgrade a client
system using Spacewalk: CentOS users beware: in the x86_64 repositories,
there
are a number of not i386 but i686 packages. *Those* were what cratered my
upgrades.

             mark