dumb question

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Apr 22 15:46:53 UTC 2009

Phebe,

>Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:25:30 -0500
>From: Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov
>
>the i686 was used to address Pentium Pro or better systems. If you are
>running 64 bit then the system is better. The i686 are for the 32 bit
>applications. If the 32 bit and the 64 bit libraries are not the same exact
>version of each other on the 64 bit machine, that might be a problem. Or
<snip>
Oh, I know what the 686's are. The big thing was this: when they were in the Spacewalk repository, the query that Spacewalk did on its d/b got them uniquely. So when I told it to upgrade, it did it with those packages. Then, when I went to reboot, that failed coming back up, with the error "request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c" repeated three or so times.

As soon as I removed them from Spacewalk's d/b by deleting that package, the upgrade went fine. The explanation that led me to that was at <http://saalwaechter-notes.blogspot.com/2008/10/requestmodule-runaway-loop-modprobe.html>

So, my thinking is that the i386 libs are fine, as you mentioned, but that the 686's try to *replace* the x86_64 ones, and then it croaks.

       mark