Tools for automatically updating linux server documentation

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 12:40:56 UTC 2009

Hi all.

We're in need of a streamlined way of documenting the
configuration/hardware/etc of our RHEL-servers (versjons 3, 4 and 5). As of
now, our documentation is spread across different formats and locations, and
manually updated.

I don't have an specific idea of exactly what kind of documentation tool I'd
like, so I'm up for suggestions. I'm pretty sure that not all information
can be automatically retreived, but if we start with basic things like
hardware configuration and some basic OS stuff (update level, kernel
versjon, etc)I can take if from there. Hopefully there exists some scripts
or something that can gather such information automatically, and update the
documentation.

Any advice on information to maintain in such a documentation tool will also
be appreciated, although I guess that much of it will be specific for our
organization.

Regards,
Kenneth Holter