Centralized log server implementation

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:13:18 UTC 2009

Hi.

rsyslog (http://www.rsyslog.com/) is included in RHEL from update 2 or 3. It
is, as far as I know, intended to replace the old syslog package. rsyslog is
more sophisticated than the old syslog implementation, so you should
consider this alternative. There are other alternatives as well, such as
syslog-ng, but the benefit with rsyslog is that it's included in the
official RHEL 5 repo.

You may wish to analyze the logs as they are gathered from the clients. An
alternative here is to use swatch, which is also included in the official
RHEL 5 repo.

Regards,
Kenneth