disable automatic updates

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:23:06 UTC 2009

Hi Bram,

> I highly recommend that you schedule implementing sudo on your systems so
> you can revoke root access.  Even if you trust your colleagues fully (though
> from this thread I believe you have reason not to)

Yes you are right :-(

> you could grant them permission to do anything as any user on the system.
>  While this is NOT secure since it allows them to circumvent the mechanism
> it could help if all you want is a log of which commands were executed.
>  This is off course given that you can agree to not use the loopholes.

one question, do you think  is it a good idea to put the users in the wheel
group?
 or
is better another aproach?

> To figure out what happened I suggest that you look at your cron log for
> Jul 10 at about the time mentioned in the yum log.
> If you have a cron job installing updates automatically you should find it
> there.  Then hopefully from there you can figure who/how this was scheduled
> and how to disable it.

as I expected there isn´t any reason to think that it was an automatic
update. I suppose someone applied the updates without much care and now
he/she has shame to say it.  ;-)

> Good luck

thanks

ESG