Cron not working

Steve Phillips steve.phillips at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 00:26:37 UTC 2009

You will probably find that the tomcat user account is locked in the shadow
file (not having a valid password). Locked accounts tend to be limited in
what resources they can consume, cron being one of them - this is defined
with pam and the configuration file is found in /etc/pam.d/cron - part of
this config checks that the account is valid (password not expired etc) and
the access.conf file is also checked for overrides - hence why adding the
timcat user to access.conf allowed cron to work.

man 8 pam
man access.conf
man pam_access

for more information.

Also, it is unwise to tinker with these settings (pam configs) on a
production box as incorrectly setting pam modules can either render your
system un-usable or allow someone to bypass security and gain unauthorized
access to your system.

HTH,

--
Steve.