disable automatic updates

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Tue Aug 11 16:36:24 UTC 2009

ESGLinux wrote:
> Hi all
> I have a question about the automatic updates. I have a system that has
> the Auto Errata Update disabled on the RHN.
> In my system I receive the notification when an update is released. I don´t
> apply the updates but after some time the updates gets applied.
>
> Why the updates are applied automatically? which process controls this?
>
> Thanks
>
> ESG

Notification is done by yum update daemon (yum-updated). When you set up
your OS you probably selected automatic updates to be installed, which
iirc would have set up a cron job for yum, something like this:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/fedora-automatic-update-retrieval-installation-with-cron/
(Google is your friend)

although I've never used automatic updates myself. I get notifications
of updates from the RHEL list manager and apply them myself, when I
choose to do so rather than the OS chooses to (which is to Microsoftian
for me).

Good luck with working your issue through.

Cheers,

--

Paul Blonde
EnTel Communications Inc