how to get the number of sockets

Marti, Rob RJM002 at shsu.edu
Tue Aug 18 12:44:53 UTC 2009

My desktop's motherboard only has 2 sockets, but your command gives:

[root at ab1-4-160 ~]# dmidecode | grep "Socket Designation"
        Socket Designation: CPU
        Socket Designation: Not Specified
        Socket Designation: Not Specified

Not really sure that's accurate enough :) (and yeah I only have 1 socket filled... I feel like less of a man)

Rob Marti