KVM virtualization under RHEL 5.4 beta.

Adriaansen, Tom (RB-NL) Tom.Adriaansen at reedbusiness.nl
Mon Aug 24 10:56:53 UTC 2009

When trying KVM

I first had the following errors

[root at hostname ~]# /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -hda /kvm/vm/vdisk.img
-cdrom /kvm/iso/w2k8.iso -boot d -m 1024

open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory

Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

Could not initialize SDL - exiting

I solved these:

First I set Viirtualization switch in SETUP of my Dell server 2950 to
enable (it sits under CPU ...)

This solved the /dev/kvm error.

The second one (Could not initialize SDL - exiting) had something to do
with X11.

I first started it on the DRAC card, I got the SDL error

Then on a putty session with DISPLAY to my Refection emulator on my PC
with xhost +, it did not work.

[root at hostname ~]# /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -hda /kvm/vm/vdisk.img -cdrom
/kvm/iso/w2k8.iso -boot d -m 512

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
"145.43.85.106:0.0"

      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Then I started it on a VNC session and gave the exact same command as
before, and there was the popup window with the install screen of W2K8.

So my solution was:

Set Virtualisation to enable in the SETUP of your server

And run the qemu-kvm command from within a VNC session.

M.vr.Gr.

Tom Adriaansen

Linux (RHCT), Storage, Tru64 en OpenVMS

IT Beheerder | IT Infrastructure Services

* *+31 314 34 9223

* ***+31 6 238 76 099

* **tom.adriaansen at reedbusiness.nl

Reed Business