RHEL 3 on VMware chrashed, resulting in "directory contains a hole" messages

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 10:10:29 UTC 2009

I've also seen this, but only on Vmware Server.  I recently wanted to
move a VM between servers, and in the past I've noticed that a VM
including a snapshot sometimes doesn't like to be moved.  So I usually
remove the snapshot first, then move, then snapshot it again if
necessary.  On this occasion, after removing the snapshot, it would
start up.  I had to point the VM at an older virtual disk file, which
essentially reverted it back to the way it was at the time of the
snapshot, losing recent changes.

It doesn't make for a good night's sleep, that's for sure.