Linux system administration methodology or best pratice

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:14:06 UTC 2009

Hello all.

I work as a linux system administrator, and were wondering if there exists
any methodology that systematize this kind of work.

Linux in my organization is a pretty new platform, so we're working on
developing and improving everything from patching routines to user
administration to security. We've been doing a lot of work with regards to
these (and other) areas, but I believe we could benefit from read up on
methodology or best practices that describes the whole field of linux system
administration. we've got access to technical documentation, so that not an
issue. What we need is a way to be even more structured and thus effective
in adminitrating our linux servers.

What I hope such a methodology or best practice documentation is things such
as these:

   - Guidelines to set up a technical standard for linux servers
   - How to develop an effective, automated system for documenting the state
   of the linux servers (i.e. asset management type of thing)
   - How to set up long term plans for developing routines and
   infrastructure to make the linux servers more secure and easy to manage
   - etc

Feel free to point me in the direction of web sites, book, etc that may hold
the infomation I'm looking for.

Best regards,
Kenneth Holter