Setting up large (12.5 TB) filesystem howto?

sigpedag sigpedag at univ-paris1.fr
Thu Aug 27 19:44:51 UTC 2009

Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator a écrit :

> mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> mkfs.ext3: Filesystem too large.  No more than 2**31-1 blocks
> 	 (8TB using a blocksize of 4k) are currently supported.
>

> The limits information provided by red hat say, that RH EL 5.1 supports
> 16 TB filesystems:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/
>
> 	-> Maximum filesystem size (Ext3): 16TB in 5.1
>
> Using a block size of 8192 gives a warning, that this size is to large
> for that system.

Somebody had the exact same problem a few days ago ;)

A block size of 8KiB is only available on some architectures such as
Alpha (says the ext3 page on wikipedia).

> So my question: What is my missunderstanding or what's wrong with my
> system? Where are the real limits? Do I have to switch the OS to 64 Bit?
>
> Setting up large Filesystems isn't my staff of life  :-)

You best option is to do a 8TiB filesystem, wait for RHEL 5.4, upgrade
your Red Hat version and then you can either setup a XFS filesystem from
scratch or try to convert your ext3 filesystem to ext4 and try to extend
your partition from 8TiB to 12.5TiB.

If you have to store less than 6.25TiB, do a 6.25TiB partition, store
your data on it, then when Red Hat 5.4 is released, create another empty
6.25TiB ext4/XFS parition and move your data on it.

Then delete the first ext3 parition, create another 6.25TiB, and extend
your ext4/XFS filesystem on it. It's very simple to extend space with
LVM. I don't know for ext4 but for XFS you can use the "xfs_growfs" that
extends XFS filesystem while their mounted.

Regards,

Nicolas

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.