Fedora 11 does not see tape drives

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at mckesson.com
Fri Aug 28 23:13:22 UTC 2009

Hello:
        I just install Fedora 11 on an older PC with a AMD CPU. During
boot up I can hit CTL A and access the Adaptec AHA-2940W Bios and it can
see the 2 tape drive that are attached. But when Fedora 11 boots I get
the following error in  /var/log/messages:

Aug 22 21:42:07 dragon8 kernel: aic7xxx: probe of 0000:00:0a.0 failed
with error -38

Looking up errno (which is what I assume -38 is) says it is ENOSYS
(feature not implemented).

I have changed the HBA (I have several), and used a different PCI slot
and a different cable all with the same results.

lsscsi does not show the tape drives, but lspci does show the HBA.

Hopefully someone else has had this problem and found a solution.

---
Thanks:
Jack Allen