Socks5 proxy server in RHEL5

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 06:48:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Haridas, Rijeshk (NSN - IN/Bangalore) <
rijeshk.haridas at nsn.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know if any SOCKS5 proxy server is packaged as part of
>  RHEL5. Please let me know of any alternate SOCKS5 servers which can be
> used. <https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list>

Don't know if this would fit your criteria but you can create a socks5 proxy
through an ssh connection. Check out the -D option to the ssh command:

 -D [bind_address:]port
>              Specifies a local ``dynamic'' application-level port
> forwarding.
>              This works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the
> local
>              side, optionally bound to the specified bind_address.
> Whenever a
>              connection is made to this port, the connection is forwarded
> over
>              the secure channel, and the application protocol is then used
>              determine where to connect to from the remote machine.
> Currently
>              the SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 protocols are supported, and ssh will
> act
>              as a SOCKS server.  Only root can forward privileged ports.
>              Dynamic port forwardings can also be specified in the
> configura-
>              tion file.
>
>              IPv6 addresses can be specified with an alternative syntax:
>              [bind_address/]port or by enclosing the address in square
> brack-
>              ets.  Only the superuser can forward privileged ports.  By
>              default, the local port is bound in accordance with the
>              GatewayPorts setting.  However, an explicit bind_address may
> be
>              used to bind the connection to a specific address.  The
>              bind_address of ``localhost'' indicates that the listening
> port
>              be bound for local use only, while an empty address or `*'
> indi-
>              cates that the port should be available from all interfaces.

if you do a quick google for this, you'll find lots of hits with tutorials,
etc...

Romeo

--
Romeo Theriault