rhel 4.6 - /etc/hosts file gets modified

Michael Reed mnr102 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 17:37:54 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm debugging the following problem, and I'm wondering if anyone has some insight into it:

After I modify /etc/hosts file, I believe it gets modifed additionally by some other process, probably upon the next reboot (it's scripted & includes 2 reboots, so all I see is the end result).

I've heard that at some point, Fedora had 2 competing network config methods, and that they both worked, but their config files didn't stay in sync.  I'm wondering if that was fixed at some point, and that the sync of config files is resulting in extra "localhost.localdomain" lines getting added to my /etc/hosts file?

Thx,
MR