Problem in detecting the network cards on RH

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Wed Dec 2 20:28:55 UTC 2009

lspci cannot resolve driver issues, it reads the device IDs on the bus
and then reports what it finds.

As far as I can remember, Broadcom 5761 support was updated in RHEL 5.2
and your kernel is older than that. Have a look here:

http://oss.oracle.com/el5/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-U2-en.html#Kernel_and_Driver_Updates

I think the earliest kernel you should be running is at least
kernel-2.6.18-92.x

BTW, it is possible to compile from sources and have the drivers on your
current kernel included, but if you can RHN update the machine, that
would be better.

GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios