Problem in detecting the network cards on RH

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Wed Dec 2 20:47:35 UTC 2009

Yeap, and here is the RedHat release notes that state that:

tg3: updated to version 3.86. This update enables support for BroadCom
5761 and 5784 devices.

here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Release_Notes/ia64/ar01s04.html

GM

George Magklaras wrote:
> lspci cannot resolve driver issues, it reads the device IDs on the bus
> and then reports what it finds.
>
> As far as I can remember, Broadcom 5761 support was updated in RHEL 5.2
> and your kernel is older than that. Have a look here:
>
> http://oss.oracle.com/el5/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-U2-en.html#Kernel_and_Driver_Updates
>

> I think the earliest kernel you should be running is at least
> kernel-2.6.18-92.x
>
> BTW, it is possible to compile from sources and have the drivers on your
> current kernel included, but if you can RHN update the machine, that
> would be better.
>
> GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios