ssh tcp wrapper vs ssh public keys

Daniel Carrillo daniel.carrillo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 12:12:06 UTC 2009

2009/12/18 MadTh <madan.feedback at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> While this question is very loosely linked to be discussed in this forum, I
> am tempted to ask this here, as I am sure there are enough experts here to
> provide helpful advice.
>

> Is there any advantage of using  ssh public keys over passwd authentication
> ( other than that, its just additional security measure)  when I am already
> using ssh tcp wrapper ( /etc/hosts.allow ; /etc/hosts.deny) and I know that
> the IP sources that are allowed to login from are fully trusted?
>

>  Or  how could a hacker be at a more advantageous position under following
> circumstances { also assume in another scenerio that,  say the hacker( or
> script kiddie) got some sort of access from a web shell script ( like c99
> )}:
>
> 1) someone uses ssh public keys ( passwd authentication

You can combine the two behaviours directly, so you can restrict IPs or name
servers in authorized_keys2 file. IE:

from="10.10.*.*, myserver.com" ssh-rsa AAAAB3.....

2) ssh tcp wrapper to allow only specifc and highly trusted IPs

IMHO this is only useful with software like denyhosts and similars, that
requires dynamic blocking.

By the way, the same can be done with iptables is a more properly manner.

Kind Regards.