Uppercase usernames in /etc/sudoers triggers warnings

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 11:31:30 UTC 2009

Hello all.

We're syncing users from Active Directory over to our linux LDAP server (Red
Hat Directory Server). The user names on the AD side are all written in
uppcase letters, which is the company policy.

The uppername usernames causes problems when setting up /etc/sudoers, since
uppercase words are interpreted as aliases. For example, if I add user
KENNETH to a User_Alias (i.e. something like "User_Alias ADMINS = KENNETH"),
I will get a warning from visudo which expects KENNETH to be an alias and
thus not a username. Despite the warning, sudo does seem to work correctly.
But is there a way to tell visudo or sudo that usernames are uppercase, and
should not trigger a warning? Or are there other ways to go about this sort
of thing?

Best regards,
Kenneth Holter