Problems with RHEL 5 server: NFS related?

kim.desmaele at bayercropscience.com kim.desmaele at bayercropscience.com
Mon Feb 2 14:44:45 UTC 2009

Hi all,

- I experienced the same issue... I think it has something to do with
filesystem antributes.
To avoid this kind of situations on Solaris, a share option "anon=0" is
defined on the solaris nfs server.

<snip \\ solaris nfs share manpage>

                anon=uid
                      Set  uid to be the  effective  user  ID  of
                      unknown  users.  By  default, unknown users
                      are given the effective user ID UID_NOBODY.
                      If  uid is set to -1, access is denied.
</snip>

- Are you using nfs version 3 or 4 ?
- try a tcpdump and filter out all the sent and received from an to the
nfs server/client.
- Verify if you don't have any other security limitations on your nfs
share defined.

If any one knows the share option which needs to be defined in
/etc/exports, I'll be glad to hear it! ;-)

Hope this helps!

grts,

Kim

Did you check if the filesystem(s) were mounted RW?

Note that you can't always trust the output of mount.

We ran into a kernel bug on some of our virtual servers a while ago
where a file system became read-only in the event of busy I/O retry or
path failover of the ESX Server's SAN storage (details available at
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd
=displayKC&externalId=51306)

Even though mount showed the file system mounted rw the file system was
in fact write-protected as trying to remount it showed:
# mount -o remount,rw /
mount: block device /dev/rootvg/rootlv is write-protected, mounting
read-only

Considering 2 of your symptoms indicate a problem with the file system
you might want to investigate in this direction.

HTH

Bram

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or
legally privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not
constitute a waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in
error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward,
or disclose any part of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail
and all copies and notify the sender.  Thank you.

For alternate languages please go to http://bayerdisclaimer.bayerweb.com