determine hardware raid

Berthold Cogel cogel at uni-koeln.de
Fri Feb 6 16:28:34 UTC 2009

john maclean schrieb:
> Ah, that's handy to know! Anything similar for Dells?

Yes..

Get the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator from the Dell Support
homepage or from the ftp site.

It's ftp://ftp.dell.com/sysman/.

Look for the OM_x.x.x_ManNode_A00.tar.gz packages. Create a directory
'dell' somewhere and unpack the tarball to this directory. Call
setup.sh. This will install the software to /opt/dell (with RPMs) and
start the services. One is the dsm_om_connsvc which delivers a web
interface on port 1311. This is a complete interface to the system
internals (monitoring, RAID, BIOS..).

But you can also manage and monitor your systems on the command line:
omreport system shows you details about temperature, fans CPU ...
omreport storage is the interface to the RAID controller and the disks.

And with omconfig you can configure your BIOS, warning levels for fans
.. and best of all, you can manage your disks (assign hot spare,
remoe/insert disks....).

We usually disable the webservice and use only the CLI. For nagios and
BigBrother you can get plugins which use omreport for remote monitoring.

OMSA is a replacement for the old megaraid and afacli tools for Dell
PERCs, but you should bring your BIOS and firmware versions up to date
for newer versions.

You can get the update packages at the ftp site or at the web support site.