determine hardware raid

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 4 22:40:58 UTC 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 2:32 PM, john maclean wrote:

> So am I right in thinking that the -only- way to do this results in
> server downtime? I know how to get to a sever's RAID configurations.
> Looks like dmidecode wont be able to help either.
>
> Thanks for the reply.

Well, it depends on what kind of RAID card you have in your system.
Some of my Sun Fire X4100 (and friends) systems have an LSASAS1064
card in them.  I know this by:

# cat /proc/mpt/summary
ioc0: LSISAS1064, FwRev=01102800h, Ports=1, MaxQ=268, IRQ=209

... and I can use that info with the "mpt-status" command ...

# mpt-status -p
Checking for SCSI ID:0
Checking for SCSI ID:1
Checking for SCSI ID:2
Found SCSI id=2, use ''mpt-status -i 2`` to get more information.

# mpt-status -i 2
ioc0 vol_id 2 type IM, 2 phy, 67 GB, state OPTIMAL, flags ENABLED
ioc0 phy 1 scsi_id 4 FUJITSU  MAV2073RCSUN72G  0301, 68 GB, state
ONLINE, flags NONE
ioc0 phy 0 scsi_id 3 FUJITSU  MAV2073RCSUN72G  0301, 68 GB, state
ONLINE, flags NONE

... which tells me that the two SAS drives that are hardware mirrored
are in good shape. I wrap all that up in a script that our Nagios
server runs and reports errors on.

Will this work for your hardware RAID?  I don't know; I don't see
where you're listing the server and the RAID card it has within.

	-s-

--
Sandor W. Sklar
Unix Systems Administrator