Kernel statistic counters

Alexandre Vieira nullpt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:34:19 UTC 2009

Hi list,

I'm auditing (dimensioning, security, stability, performance, etc) a
platform consisting of 4 RHEL machines and I'm having a hard time finding
some system statistics.

I'm used to Solaris where you have the kstats counters with basically
everything.

On linux I see that "ethtool -S ethX" gives me what I need for network
stats. How about history counters on CPU activity, memory activity, disk
activity?

Imagine I want to see sd0 disk error statistic:

#kstat sderr:0

module: sderr                           instance: 0
name:   sd0,err                         class:    device_error
        crtime                          42.406513208
        Device Not Ready                0
        Hard Errors                     0
        Illegal Request                 0
        Media Error                     0
        No Device                       0
        Predictive Failure Analysis     0
        Product                         MAT3073N SUN72G
        Recoverable                     0
        Revision                        0602
        Serial No                       0530B093ML
        Size                            73400057856
        snaptime                        59275843.5048492
        Soft Errors                     0
        Transport Errors                0
        Vendor                          FUJITSU

Or partition 0 (/) from sd0 disk activity:

#kstat sd:0:sd0,a
module: sd                              instance: 0
name:   sd0,a                           class:    partition
        crtime                          42.500566541
        nread                           408078787784
        nwritten                        770591441920
        rcnt                            0
        reads                           56436484
        rlastupdate                     59275924.4385759
        rlentime                        481828.942334242
        rtime                           331623.611754405
        snaptime                        59275924.4385759
        wcnt                            0
        wlastupdate                     59275924.4385759
        wlentime                        990.922349888
        writes                          35321509
        wtime                           973.857852654

Much appreciated for your time.

Regards
AJ