Yum repo, mysql and php problem

Marius Boitor boitor.marius at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 15:59:18 UTC 2009

Thank you Eric.

Worked.

Marius

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Eric Sisler
Sent: 12 February 2009 15:38
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Yum repo, mysql and php problem

Marius Boitor <boitor.marius at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> a small issue with repositories. I needed php-devel package and because
the
> default redhat repo didn't had what I needed I installed the package with
> --enablerepo=remi option. Yum installed me also a new version of
> mysql-server.
>
> The problem:
>
> yum is showing different versions of mysql-server like this:
>
> -------------------------
>
> #yum install mysql-server mysql
>
> Loaded plugins: rhnplugin
>
> Setting up Install Process
>
> Parsing package install arguments
>
> Package matching mysql-server-5.0.45-7.el5.i386 already installed.
Checking
> for update.
>
> Package matching mysql-5.0.45-7.el5.i386 already installed. Checking for
> update.
>
> Nothing to do

I have a similar setup on a CentOS box.  In my case I'm using the centosplus
repository as I needed newer versions of MySQL & PHP.  The main CentOS repo
config file '/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo' has an entry for the
centosplus repository & lists specific packages that should be included.
Here's the relevant lines:

#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
enabled=1
priority=2
protect=1
includepkgs=php* mysql*

The repo is enabled so I don't have to keep using the '--enablerepo=' switch
when running yum.  More importantly the "includepkgs=" line includes only
those packages I want from the centosplus repository.  Those same packages
are excluded from the base entry:

[base]
priority=1
protect=1
exclude=php* mysql*

You'll have to adjust the repo name / config & desired packages for your
setup, but see if this doesn't help.

-Eric