Losing the Graphics on RedHat

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Thu Feb 19 02:41:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll at brown.edu> wrote:
> The graphics on our system was working yesterday.
>[...]
>
> We started the system up in single user mode, started all the daemons for a
> state 5
> and then ran startx.
>
>        avahi and hal fail.
>
>        startx brings up the solid dark blue screen
>
>        ddcprobe  does not find the monitor.
>
> What should we try next?

In the past, under Fedora (8) distributions, I have recovered from
improper video driver configurations (for instance, installing an
improper proprietary video driver and relevant modules for Compiz or
Beryl special effects) by renaming the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to
something else.  Upon rebooting Fedora, the operating system would
"automagically" (or semi-automagically --for some user input may be
required ) go through the X configuration procedure and recreate
another /etc/X11/xorg.conf file --reverting to default Fedora open
source video drivers and relevant support, evidently.

However, the fact that avahi and/or hal fail to start probably
represent only symptoms of another(s) more serious issue(s) and quite
possibly the procedure I described above may only serve as
"interesting" insight.  However, if the procedure works, please make
sure to back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, as Mark suggested.

Wish you good luck, Ms Doll.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com