backups

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon Jan 5 20:07:04 UTC 2009

---- Original message ----
>Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:02:02 -0800
>From: Chaim Rieger <chaim.rieger at gmail.com>
>
>m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>> New job, and I'm looking at backup software. Anyone who's used bacula, I'd appreciate comments on the system.
>>
>congrads

Thanks. At the moment, it's only a three-month contract, but it's work, *and* I'll get to add two *really* important acronyms to my resume, VMware and SAN. <g>

>bacula works as advertised,

That's nice to know. I see it comparing itself to, say, Legato's NetWorker. How hard is it to set up?

>also look into amanda

I gather we want a console, rather than just scripting....

>or many variations of snap(vault/mirror/shot) that are out there

Mmmm... if that's SNAP backup, it looks like it's free for individual users, and we'll need it for serious network backups.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

    mark