How can I found which disk ( harddisk) is corrupted ?

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Fri Jan 16 08:40:07 UTC 2009

Depends on what you mean with corruption. A failed disk should give
read/write I/O errors. So:
grep  /var/log/messages for I/O errors. Usually these are associated
with a device identifier (such as sda, hda, etc). Write down the device
identifier and do a:

dmesg | grep -1 [hda, sda or whatever the identifier disk is]

You should have the failed disk.

If what you call corruption is not a hardware issue but a filesystem
one, then again /var/log/messages should give you the filesystem and the
device id.

GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios