DNS Communication

Gardiner, James James.Gardiner at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue Jan 20 23:53:28 UTC 2009

>>"a dns master server will not send any notifications to slaves."

Sorry NAJU this is absolutely wrong.
BIND Servers by default DO send NOTIFY primitives to all slaves NameServers listed as NS records for a zone, whenever the zone is loaded or reloaded with a higher serial number.
The NOTIFY message will trigger the slave to send an SOA request to the Master, and an XFER will start if the serial number is higher. In effect it shortcuts the refresh time countdown. This behavior can be turned off with the 'notify no' directive in named.conf.

Microsoft DNS servers may not notify by default, but this behavior can be enabled. Here is a Wuote from a very reliable source describing this:

"There's actually a window the administrators of your Microsoft DNS Servers should check to make sure they've configured NOTIFY correctly. They need to highlight the domain name of a zone in the admin interface, select Action->Properties, then choose the Zone Transfers tab of the zone properties window. Then select the Notify... button and make sure :Automatically notify:" is checked. If it's checked, either "Servers listed on the Name Servers tab" should be checked, and the name server you want notified should be listed on that tab, or "The following servers" should be checked, and your name server's IP address should be listed, along with the others you want notified, in the list box below."

This can be found here:http://dig.menandmice.com/knowledgehub/dnsqa/6

AFAIK I hope this answers your question.

JG