How to create a rescue-only environment?

Walters, Mark Mark.Walters at mckesson.com
Tue Jan 27 17:43:58 UTC 2009

My company supports many licensed RHEL 3,4 and 5 servers throughout the
US. Occasionally a server becomes corrupted and I need to perform some
basic fixes to grub, lilo, fstab, inittab or maybe just an fsck from
rescue mode.

I have looked at a number of publicly available livecd's and rescue cd's
but they are typically 300-700 meg and I'd prefer to use signed rpm's
and source files.  I'd like to make my own to keep it as small possible.

Any Tips?

Mark Walters