Problem detecting HP Tape Drive

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 17:01:06 UTC 2009

Mehdi Sarmadi wrote:
> Hello
>
> I do have problem using Linux with an external HP tape drive. The
> server platform is also an HP Server; the server is an HP ML350 G4,
> and the Tape drive is a HP Storage Works Ultrium 448 - 1U Rack-
> mountable.
>
> HP Ultrium documentation says two drivers should be automatically up,
> sym53c8xx for LSI SCSI interface "st" for tape and /proc/scsi/scsi
> should contain information about tape drive, e.g. SCSI ID. However
> none of them happened in my case! (document: "UP LTO Ultrium 2-3 -
> Unix Config Guide")
>
> The SCSI adapter is an LSI53C1030. The system has another the same
> adapter which is used for hard disk drives.
>
> The interesting part is, the hard disk are detected and even OS boots
> from them, but I can't make the tape drive work. Moreover, in system
> boot up, LSI SCSI BIOS displays information saying there is a tape
> drive connected!
>
> Any one has same experience, suggestion, comments or clues?
>
> I've place a zip file here: http://msarmadi.googlepages.com/report_files.zip
> which contains:
>
> - dmesg
> - lshal
> - lsmod
> - lspci -vv
> - cat /proc/scsi/scsi > proc.scsi.scsi
> - cat /proc/modules > proc.modules
> - uname -a > uname
>
> Also, below there are detailed information about devices and OS config/
> log files.
>
> ===== System info:
> Operating System: Redhat Enterprise Linux AS 5
> Sever System: HP ML530 G4
> SCSI Adapter: LSI 1030
> Tape Drive: HP Storage Works Ultrium 448 - 1U Rack-mountable
> SCSI Cable: P/N 313375002 Rev R (coming with tape drive)
>
> *Note that, no other SCSI devices are connected to the cable.
>
> ===== Here is some parts of boot up messages on the screen of HP ML350
> G4 ====
> System BIOS D17 (14/04/2005)

> MPTBIOS-5.05.18

> Slot 3 HP Smart Array 6400 Controller (192MB, v.2.26) 1 Logic Drive
> Detected
> 1794-Slot 3 Drive Arraye - Array Accelerator Battery Charge low
> Array Accelerator Posted-Write Cache is temporarilty Disabled
> Array Accelerator batteries hace failed to charge and should be
> replaced
>
> Slot 3 HP Smart Array 6400 EM Controller (192MB, v.2.26) 1 Logic Drive
> Detected
> Tape or CD-ROM Drive(s) Detected:
> SCSI Port 2: SCSI ID 1
> 1785-Slot 3 Drive Arraye Not Configured
> No Drives Detected
>
> [Followed by GRUB and Linux boot up]
> =========================

I don't see the st kernel module listed in lsmod. Try "modprobe st" to load it.

Why is your /proc/scsi/scsi output empty?
I'd expect to see something like this:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST373207LC       Rev: 0003
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: ATL      Model: M2500            Rev: 10.0
   Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
   Vendor: HP       Model: Ultrium 3-SCSI   Rev: G27Z
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
   Vendor: HP       Model: Ultrium 3-SCSI   Rev: G27Z
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
   Vendor: HP       Model: C5683A           Rev: C908
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
   Vendor: HP       Model: C5683A           Rev: C908
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
   Vendor: HP       Model: C5683A           Rev: C908
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555