VMware and ntp

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri Jan 16 02:36:53 UTC 2009

Hey, Marcos,

Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Try list's history:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/
>
> I think, the discussion you want was 2 months ago.

Thanks, but while googling at work, I found it - the problem of losing or
gaining time while running under VMware. Actually, what I also found was in
VMware's knowledgebase, which has a page for "Best timekeeping practices for
Linux", and says, in so many words, that they recommend using NTP and *not*
VMware's time synchronization. They do mention two kernel parms that need to be
added to the grub.conf, and that you need to add, as the first line in the
ntp.conf,
tinker panic 0
I think that's in the right order - I'm at home, and don't have the bookmarks.

But I'd recommend looking up that page, if anyone needs to know.

	mark