NTP high offset

Chris Henderson henders254 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:36:44 UTC 2009

I have two Redhat servers - RHEL ES 4 and RHEL AS 4 - running
ntp-4.2.0. I have modified the /etc/ntp.conf and /etc/ntp/ntpservers
to point them to my ntp server. But my network monitoring system is
saying that these two Redhat servers are having a high offset: Offset
57521.46715 secs and Offset -181.4311465 secs respectively.
No other server in my network is having this issue. If I restart ntpd
on these servers, the problem goes away for a few minutes but comes
back again.

/etc/ntp.conf file -

restrict default nomodify notrap noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
server ntp1.mycompany.com
server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008
keys            /etc/ntp/keys

/etc/ntp/ntpservers file -

ntp1.mycompany.com

Thanks for any help resolving this issue.