Re: Man command not working as a ordinary user

Try to see if permissions are preserved. Sometimes, especially if you use SELinux (do you?), permissions are not preserved. I would use star for this types of archiving moves and then make sure that the SELinux context is set appropriately( I had a similar problem with man pages before and SELinux)

GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Erling Ringen Elvsrud wrote:
Hello,

For instance "man ls" works as usual as root, but when executed as an ordinary
user nothing appears exept "(END)" from the pager (less).
I have used rpm -V on the man and man-pages pacakges without finding
any changes and have also reinstalled both packages.

The /var directory was moved from the root filesystem to its own a
while ago, but I did not notice anything after. The files was moved
from the old /var to the new with the following command: "cd /var; tar
cpf - ./* | tar xvpf - -C /newvar/" so I think
all permissions and ownerships should be correct. /var was later moved
to /oldvar and /newvar to var.

I cannot think of any other actions potentially interfering with man.

Do you have any suggestions for where I can start looking for errors?

Thanks,
Erling