Re: VMware and ntp

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:36:53 -0800, mark <m roth2006 rcn com> wrote:

Hey, Marcos,

Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues wrote:
Hi Mark,

Try list's history:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/

I think, the discussion you want was 2 months ago.

Thanks, but while googling at work, I found it - the problem of losing or
gaining time while running under VMware. Actually, what I also found was in VMware's knowledgebase, which has a page for "Best timekeeping practices for Linux", and says, in so many words, that they recommend using NTP and *not* VMware's time synchronization. They do mention two kernel parms that need to be added to the grub.conf, and that you need to add, as the first line in the
ntp.conf,
tinker panic 0
I think that's in the right order - I'm at home, and don't have the bookmarks.

But I'd recommend looking up that page, if anyone needs to know.

	mark

For the people who care:
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

It is a very good read for Linux and VMware Full Virtualization

--
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.  -Fight Club