xen vm not keeping date/time properly

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Jan 22 15:13:27 UTC 2009

I've seen a ton of messages like this but no solution that works.  I
have a 64-bit RHEL 5 machine running multiple guests.  Dom0 keeps time
using ntp and works well.

I initially had the virtual machines do the same thing, but they failed
to keep time properly.  I've since disabled ntp on the guests and
haven't found a solution.

I saw messages regarding setting /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock to
0, but I only see this file on Dom0, not the guests so I'm not quite
sure how this works for the guests keeping proper time.

Has anyone figured out how to keep 64-bit guests in sync with Dom0?

Ryan